You just never know what might pop out of my mouth at any given moment. I might be talking about my Indian Ringneck, or Full Time RVing. Maybe I'll be talking about the path to happiness or griping about the state of healthcare or maybe about chronic illness. I have lots to say and sometimes I'm just plain RANDOM.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

3 Types of Exercise for a Happier Healthier Life


We all know exercise is important, but what you might not know is there are different kinds of exercise and they are ALL equally important.

First we'll talk about the most obvious type. When you think about exercise I'm sure this is what you think of and that's the physical kind. Exercising the body. This might be to lose weight, to maintain weight, to gain muscle, to increase or maintain health, or many other reasons. Physical exercise is important for everyone but the type of physical exercise will vary depending on the reason and the person's health situation.

It is important to set aside time to do some kind of physical exercise every day. This might be a walk or run. You might ride a bike or go to the gym. Maybe you prefer to do yoga or go to an exercise class.

So this month I commit to taking a walk with my husband every day and using the exercise bike twice a week.

There are 2 more types of exercise that are supremely important for every person on this planet and so many times people forget these. I bet most of you don't even know what I'm talking about even though I'd also wager that you all do them at least a few times a week.

Just as important as physical exercise are mental and spiritual exercise.

Mental exercise is exercising the mind and intelligence. There are many wonderful ways to do this. One might work on crosswords or puzzle type games. One might read books that challenge the imagination or teach you something. The way I plan to be using is learning something new every day and carrying it with me into the next.

So this month I commit to learning something new every day and doing a learning game of some sort at least twice a week. I'd also like to do more reading again but I might save that till I can afford to buy either some new books or a kindle.

And the final type of exercise that is usually reserved for church or holidays is spiritual exercise. We really need to reserve time every day for this too. It helps us remain connected and centered. It helps us reach within and find our true selves.

So every day this month I commit to meditating for at least 5 mins or more. I commit to spending time thinking about what I am grateful for. I commit to doing spiritual personal discovery work. And I commit to learning just one new thing each day about various spiritual paths and beliefs.

Exercising each our body, mind, and spirit each day can help lead to a happier, healthier, more balanced life. I am on a year long journey with my husband to learn how to live each day with more happiness and balance. This is simply a part of my month of motivation and motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment