You just never know what might pop out of my mouth at any given moment. I might be talking about my Indian Ringneck, or Full Time RVing. Maybe I'll be talking about the path to happiness or griping about the state of healthcare or maybe about chronic illness. I have lots to say and sometimes I'm just plain RANDOM.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Energy Vampires - part 2


What Constitutes an Energy Vampire?

energy funnel2Ok so since I wrote the introductory article about energy vampires a lot of people have come to me asking me if they are one. A few have asked if I could tell if a certain person in their life was one. So, I thought it would be prudent to write a quick article which might help with finding these answers for oneself.
We ALL have energy. Our energy field might be strong and bright or weak and dim or anyplace in between. We ALL give and take energy. Some give more than others and some take more than others. There will be times when someone, who is not typically a vamp, might display the aspects of one.
Sometimes when we are at a very low point or truly struggling, we might fall back onto one of the vampire types that we are prone to act out.
I myself tend to fall back to the poor me vampire archetype when I’m at a low point or when I’ve been drained by a more aggressive type. I tend to catch myself pretty quickly and adjust my actions, but this doesn’t change the fact that I, just like anyone else, can fall into this behavior.
The difference is that I do not remain in this behavior. I am aware of it and so am able to change it and find other ways to replenish my energy needs.
What should you do if you catch yourself behaving like a vampire? Stop. Ask yourself why you are doing it? In the case of the “poor me”, maybe you just need to vent a bit so that you can then adjust your energy field to the more positive aspect. If this is the case you need to find a constructive way to do that. Writing in a journal can be of extreme value here. Of course each of us has our own type that we tend to act like in extreme circumstances and each type will have a different action that can be constructive instead of destructive.
Once you know what you are doing, and why you are doing it, you can then move on to changing the flow. Do something constructive to alleviate the negative energy and then do something constructive to replenish the positive energy. This can be something like going for a walk, watching a funny show, doing something creative, or any number of other things.
flow2So what constitutes and energy vampire? An energy vampire is someone who saps energy from other people on a fairly consistent basis without giving any energy in return.
In a typical interaction between, let’s say, two people, both parties will give energy and receive energy. Picture and circular flow of energy between to people as they interact with one another. Each one is sending or giving energy to the other and each is taking or receiving energy from the other.
Now in a negative interaction, like an argument, the flow isn’t back and forth. The energy might appear to be being sucked out of one of the people by the other or it might appearargueenergyaggressively trying to take over each others energy fields, as if to dominate. However that doesn’t mean it’s a vampire, just someone not in control of their own energy and dealing with a control drama of some sort. (see The Celestine Prophecy for an explanation of control dramas) Control drama issues are not constant but more like a quick, surgical maneuver.
The true energy vampire is going to display the vampiric  behavior on a fairly regular and consistent basis. Meaning that in almost any and every interaction with the person there will be a draining of energy, leaving the food with the feeling of exhaustion. This is why it takes time to identify an energy vampire. Since we can all display these attributes and behaviors on occasion and since some people might even do it often but only briefly and not always, it can take many encounters before one can be certain that another is actually one of the true energy vampire types.

No comments:

Post a Comment