You just never know what might pop out of my mouth at any given moment. I might be talking about my Indian Ringneck, or Full Time RVing. Maybe I'll be talking about the path to happiness or griping about the state of healthcare or maybe about chronic illness. I have lots to say and sometimes I'm just plain RANDOM.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Violence in Oakland


I am shocked and appalled at what I saw happen in Oakland California in the early morning hours of Tuesday October 25, 2011.
If you are unaware of this action, this violence, this attack on the first amendment, then please see the video that I am including at the end of this post. Sadly I am afraid that the videos might not last as long as this blog does so I’ll do my best to fill you in with my words as well.
In the early morning of Tuesday October 25, 2011, dozens of police swarmed Frank Ogawa Plaza where hundreds of protesters had set up their solidarity Occupation movement encampment. These police were armed with flash bangsTear Gas, and a Sonic Cannon. They were dressed in full riot gear and came equipped with gas masks.
Briefly they gave warning that the protesters needed to disperse. They surrounded the encampment and announced that any and all of the people within needed to leave immediately, though their locations and full riot gear made this a daunting idea. People would have to cross this line of surly looking, aggressively dressed, police in order to comply.
Within minutes of this one brief warning the officers began throwing flash bangs and teargas canisters into the unsuspecting crowd. The officers shot people with rubber bullets, causing serious injury to a few.
Mothers tried to get their children out of harms way but were choked with Tear Gas and found themselves unable to escape the ever growing cloud and the panicking people around them. Disabled people, some in wheelchairs, were trying to make their way out when the tear gas hit and found themselves in the middle of a scene unlike any we have previously witnessed during this peaceful worldwide protest.
News crews and unsuspecting people working in the surrounding buildings found themselves suddenly and unexpectedly within a cloud of smoke that burned their eyes and throats. For them there was no warning, these were innocent bystanders and unsuspecting citizens simply doing their jobs or going about their daily lives.

As I watched in horror I couldn’t help but wonder what kind of person would order such a drastic and violent action be taken upon people who have been so careful to remain peaceful. What monster could order such measures be taken on an encampment where there could be innocent children or people unable to move quickly such as the person in the wheelchair who didn’t make it out before the chaos began?
I began doing a bit of research and watching many posts go up on different sites about what was happening in Oakland. As I did so I learned the name of the individual responsible for this action, Oakland’s Mayor Jean Quan.
In my research I was led to a post on her Facebook page that was a response to the mornings enforcement actions. I’m including it as an image below.
What? Peaceful resolution? Is she serious? 
When I last looked there were over 1900 comments below that update and none of them in support of this Mayor. People from around the world are shocked and disgusted by this violence upon the American People.
Let us remember this. The first amendment gives Freedom of Religion, Press, & Expression.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.



No comments:

Post a Comment